Sunday 13 October 2013

MY-VERY-PERSONAL-MOOD RADIO STATION!

 


Tonight I realised I feel like a radio dj (but not the turntable scratching kind of retard; the real deal, the The Boat That Rocked kind of dj..those who play 12-inch vinyl records, start transmitting late-night, and whose 90% of listeners are the bad ass old school truck drivers). So, long story short, I'll start 'transmitting' almost every night, by posting (what I consider to be) outstanding  music (gigs, albums, festivals or just random tunes). There will be old music, brand new music, our of print and commercially unavailable gigs or things you never knew existed; there will be punk-rock, flamenco, roots reggae, bebop jazz or just old-school hip hop (to mention just a few); sometimes there will be basic info about the artists, other times full biographies, many times no info at all. My point: sometimes you'll love it, sometimes you'll hate it, or me. And now ON THE AIR: My-Very-Personal-Mood Radio Station (don't tell me the name is already taken). Hope my 10 readers will enjoy it!

Here comes the first gig, transmitting live from my comfy sofa: ANOUSHKA SHANKAR ''TRAVELLER'' LIVE AT FESTIVAL LES NUITS DE FOURVIERE, FRANCE (2012)!


And what an intro: ''It's called 'Inside me' and I wrote it when I was pregnant with my son, so it's about the joy of feeling a life dancing inside me and the energy of dance is something that's very common to the two styles that are inspiring the entire concert tonight, which are Flamenco and Indian Classical Music. So, throughout the concert, we will be exploring these two styles and I will announce the pieces as we go along.. '

Anoushka Shankar was born in London into a Bengali-Tamil Hindu family, and her childhood was divided between London and Delhi. She is a daughter of Indian sitar player Ravi Shankar and Sukanya Shankar. Now check this out: she is also the paternal half-sister of American singer Norah Jones!!! She released her first album, Anoushka, in 1998, followed by Anourag in 2000. Both Shankar and Norah Jones were nominated for Grammy awards in 2003 when Anoushka became the youngest-ever and first woman nominee in the World Music category for her third album, Live at Carnegie Hall.

Shankar has made many guest appearances on recordings by other artists, among them Sting, Lenny Kravitz and Thievery Corporation. Duetting with violinist Joshua Bell, in a sitar-cello duet with Mstislav Rostropovich, and with flautist Jean-Pierre Rampal, playing both sitar and piano. Most recently Shankar has collaborated with Herbie Hancock on his latest record The Imagine Project.

I personally believe that, judging by how she plays that Sitar, in a different dimension she could rock a Fender almost like Hendrix!

Enjoy!


No comments: